Wood fuel supply chain workshops:
From forest to gate
From gate to grate
18 and 19 June 2009
Venue:Lyrath Hotel, Kilkenny
Pieter D. Kofman, senior consultant wood for energy, Danish Forestry Extension, will present workshops on the wood biomass fuel chain on 18 and 19 June 2009 at the Lyrath Hotel, Kilkenny.
The workshops are aimed at anyone with an interest in wood for energy and no prior training is required. It is particularly useful for farmers/forest owners, engineers, chipper and boiler manufacturers and installers and suppliers, forest contractors, wood fuel suppliers, people who want to install a wood boiler, state forest services, advisory services, consultants etc.
The courses are based on Pieter's theoretic background and practical experience gained over 25 years in research, trade and consultancy work on wood for energy. The From Forest to Gate workshop has been held 29 times, and the newer workshop From Gate to Grate, 11 times, in three countries (Ireland, Scotland, Holland), while further workshops in those countries are planned.
From Forest to Gate takes place on 18 June 2009 and includes presentations on:
- Background on wood and the use of wood for energy
- Classification of solid biofuels
- Machinery involved in the harvesting and processing of wood for energy
- Scale of demand and supply
- Quality of wood chips
- Harvesting methods and road transportation
- Case studies on small and large scale installations
- Standard delivery contract
- Exercise with calculations of conversions
From Gate to Grate takes place on 19 June 2009 and discusses:
- Quality demands of wood fuels for household and commercial use (wood chips, pellets, hogfuel, firewood)
- Wood pellets - production, quality and delivery
- Wood fuels
- Firewood - quality and units
- Recycled timber - what is permitted, hogfuel quality and machinery
- Short rotation forestry - planting, harvesting and drying/storing
- Boilers - types, sizes, choice and costing, installation layout
- Combustion process
The Forest to Gate workshop has been developed for COFORD by Pieter D. Kofman (Danish Forestry Extension) and Tom Kent (Waterford Institute of Technology). Gate to Grate was developed for COFORD by Pieter D. Kofman (Danish Forestry Extension) and Tom Bruton (BioXL).
One can attend either Forest to Gate or Gate to Grate without attending the other workshop as there is very little overlap between the two options.
Continuous professional development points will be awarded. A certificate of attendance will be issued by Waterford Institute of Technology.
The workshops are presented by Pieter D. Kofman, wood energy advisor to COFORD. Pieter has more than 25 years of experience in all aspects of wood for energy supply and quality, from research to commercial applications.
REGISTRATION FEE: €150 per day
Please note that classes are restricted to 20 participants so it is essential to book as soon as possible. If you would like to attend, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01-2130725.
These are recognised events under the Society of Irish Foresters Programme of Continuous Professional Development (CPD), equivalent to 8 points.